Friday, November 30, 2007

My little addiction!

I just love Christmas time. Everyone seems to be happy, we are often thinking of others, it's my birthday this month, we bake, etc., etc. I don't even mind the decorating. Christmas does however bring out one of my addictions. I am addicted to Nativities. They are all over my house and I just love decorating with them. I tend to buy them all year long. Lately, however I don't just want any Nativity. I like it to be unique or have some special meaning. Since I can't invite you all over to my house (wish I could) I thought I would just share some of my favorites and why I love them.

This is the first nativity Drew and I received as a married couple. My brother and sister in law went on vacation to Israel and brought it back for us.



The first Christmas Drew and I were married we went to Europe. We were on a limited budget so we only bought a few souvenirs. This one came from a small town in Germany.


When we lived in Tucson, Arizona we would go down to the boarder towns in Mexico and I picked up this little tin nativity.


It helps to have a birthday in December. Nativities are almost beginning to be a staple gift from my mother and husband and I absolutely love it. Drew bought this Lladro nativity for my 30th birthday. See the Lladro of my dreams below!


My husband surprised me with this Jim Shore Nativity one year for Christmas. I love his work and was so excited.

My friends Laura and Michelle gave me this pewter nativity last year for my birthday. I love that those girls know me so well that they combined my two loves, nativities and pewter.

My mom gave me this cute little nativity by Mary Engelbreit. It has little kids acting out the nativity. My mom has also been helping me collect the willow tree nativity. It is large and has a number of pieces. I hoping this year it will be complete! (hint, hint mom)




My mom even found these cute nativity stocking holders for my birthday last year. I just felt like they went perfectly.

I found this one just a few weeks ago at a craft fair. It is the holy family made out of wooden spindles. I thought this was so clever and unique. I had to have them!


These are some of my favorites because my kids can play with them. The first one the kids move a bead each day starting the first day of December. I really love the advent nativity calendar.


On Executive Homemaker there is a cute activity where you can wrap up twelve pieces of the nativity and have the kids open one each day and read a poem with it.


I also found the cutest craft we are going to make this year. I wish I could post the picture but it won't let me. Check it out. It is a graham cracker nativity. It looks really easy to make. I know my kids will have a great time.

This is the Nativity of all Nativites in my mind. This Lladro Nativity is the nativity of my dreams!! At least I have my dreams!

What are your addictions, I mean things that you like to collect?

17 comments:

Cecily R said...

Wow! Your collection is really stunning!

I have the Willow Tree Nativity and the Fisher Price one.

My sister collects them too. She has one that is all made of puppets. I made her one last year out of salt dough. It was really fun. I would love to give her that pewter one your friends gave you. It's gorgeous!

Laura said...

Those are so neat!! What an awesome thing to collect! The only thing I collect are Nutcrackers. I don't have a TON of them- but I always hint to Chip that I'd love one each year!

I want to buy that Fisher Price nativity for my kids this year- they think it is so cute!

Katrina said...

I love yours, Megan! Maybe I'll have to post mine, too. Though, I don't have near the number that you have! I miss my Nativity collecting friend! ;)

Wendi said...

Wow, what an awesome thing to collect. I don't decorate much for Christmas. I know--I'm terrible!

I forgot that I had a nativity set until I read this. Now I do want to go find mine and put it up.

The reason I don't like to decorate is because I don't like to clean up afterwars. I'm such a bah-humbug.

Anonymous said...

Those are all so beautiful and special. I am a sucker for nativities, too. I love ones that are different in some way as well. They are just so special and speak the reason for the season.

aurora said...

I am a nativity collector, too. YOurs are beautiful!
I'll have to post some of my favorites, that would be fun.
Thanks for commenting on my blog-- ;-)

Lacie said...

How special!!!! I love that each one of them has a special meaning to you. Have you written about each one in a scrapbook or something for when they are passed down through the generations?????

My addictions are Christmas Trees (Oh, I have a ton in my home- all decorated in a unique way) and The Department 56 Snow Villiage (I have a ton of those too!)

I like to call it a collection not an addiction-Ha!Ha!

Claremont First Ward said...

Had to stop by the blog of a fellow "The Giver" lover.

Traci said...

So love your collection of nativities and thanks for sharing them with us!!! I have one my grandma made that is painted ceramic. I got when I first got married, it's a treasured piece since she doesn't do ceramics anymore. I have collected a few nativities now that I think about it. I only have 4, the new one that my kids will be receiving tomorrow under the tree is the Playmobil set!
I do have a collection of Jerry Bears from the Grateful Dead that I love!!!

kristen said...

i love the olive wood one! my mom went to israel last year (2 years ago i guess) and brought me back the whole nativity set-with the stable and all the individual pieces-it is amazing! i would love to collect more, but i figure what's better than that!!

Mary said...

Those are beautiful Meg! What a fun thing to collect.

I collect food this time of year. Mostly cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, butterfinger bells, etc. :)

Debbie said...

Ben and I give a Mr. and Mrs. Santa to each year for Christmas. The collection is growing. I'll have to take pics for our blog soon. We also have small collections of nutcrackers and nativities as well.

Rochelleht said...

Wow, Megan! Those are incredible. You could start your own creche exhibit! :-)

Katrina said...

Omigosh, Megan! I just got the most fabulously fabulous one from Norma Stone's! I'll send you a pic! <3

Michelle said...

You sure do have an impressive collection! They are all so beautiful.

I collect Father Christmas and snowmen

Renee said...

What a wonderful collection! Happy Birthday month to you!

Jake said...

Beautiful! My sister-in-law collects too and I think it is such a sweet idea. I have the same Lladro...and would also love the huge one. Hummels are cute too! Thanks for posting!