Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Someone else's trash is another person's treasure

We just moved into a new home about three months ago, and as I am sure many of you can relate, furnishing a new house takes lots of time, energy and money. Well, after spending a few thousand dollars at the furniture store and only ending up with a few new pieces, I realized I was going to have lots of blank spaces around my home, and instead of using painted cardboard (yes, I did see this on a home design show once) as furniture I decided to improvise while I save for the pieces I really want. In the process however, I have discovered some amazing deals. I have been searching various consignment stores, websites, etc. These are my finds:



This dining room table, six chairs and hutch was bought for half the price the original owner paid and it is only two years old. If anyone has any good ideas on how to decorate the top, I need help.



This TV armorie only cost me $140.00 off Craigslist and the doors slide back making it perfect for T.V. viewing. It did have a couple of scratches but I just bought one of those wood stain pens from Home Depot. I cleaned it off really well and used the pen and it covered all of the scratches. I also had to by a new roller latch which my husband installed for me (thank you honey).











A nearby store occasionally puts things on sale at 50% off. Last week I walked in and this piece of iron was only $20.00. I was really excited.


This iron piece above the pictures was only $6.00.

Lastly is my guest room:

I bought this lamp at the Goodwill for $2.99 and a new lamp shade for $14.00 from Lowe's.
The headboard I bought for $20.00. It was another Craigslist find. My husband painted it white for me.

This dresser and nightstand I already had but they just needed a fresh coat of white paint (thanks to my hubby again) and I purchased some crystal knobs at a nearby store for $30.00. The candle stick holders altogether were $6.00 and came from Goodwill (which I usually hate going into, but, I was inspired by my friend Laura's beach themed room(she got almost everything at goodwill).



Well, there you have it. This is my attempt at being clever and a little crafty. What clever things have you come up with lately?

15 comments:

Laura said...

It turned out GREAT, Megan! I LOVE the headboard! Everything looks brand new!

I just got a new headboard for William's room for $12 at GoodWill- I can't decide what color to paint it yet! Maybe Navy--It's so fun!

Laura said...

PS I'd add some green plants to the top of the hutch in the dining- it makes those colors pop. (Our dining room is a similar color)

Julianne said...

Wow, everything looks really awesome! Thank you for all the great ideas because I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

Lacie said...

Decorating a new home IS fun! I am the same way- there are a few empty speaces just waiting for the just right piece!

I just got into the iron stuff- LOVE IT! The iron pieces look GREAT in your home AND the deals you got are awsome!

katri said...

It looks like you have busy! Have a great time! :)

Rochelleht said...

Very cute!!! Just in the future, so you know: I put crystal knobs on my bathroom cabinets and they were super expensive at Lowe's and Home Depot. I got them for $1 a piece on Ebay.

Debbie said...

Wow! I'm impressed with all your energy with decorating while having a little one. I struggle to just keep the house picked up while doing the laundry, dishes, meals, etc. But, isn't it fun to furnish a house! Love those deals...The Kirklands outlet by our house has great clearance deals. Haven't tried Goodwill yet, but a definite to-do!

Emily said...

Looks like some good finds! I can't wait to be in my own place again!

Michelle said...

WOW Megan!! It all looks so beautiful. I can't wait to sleep in the guest room. Just a few more weeks!!

Katrina said...

Wow, it's looking so good, Megan! Goodwill is so fun to find the treasures and then see how they turn out!

Marcie said...

I don't want to freak you out- but I clicked on to your blog from another to another, you know how it works.

I saw that you linked to the website of your house.(which is beautiful by the way) Maybe you haven't thought of it, but that lists your address and layout of every room in the house. Where your kids rooms are, yours the doors, windows etc.

With your blog being public anyone could be reading it and know exactly where you live and your kids' names etc.

I honestly don't want to scare you but I was worried when I saw you listed so much personal info- I'm sure you just haven't thought about it- it's sad we have to actually. But that is the world we live in.

Rochelleht said...

I can't see where your address is, Megan. I wouldn't stress too much.

Heather S. said...

Wow, I love how you have added so many things to your house that you found as great finds. I wish I were more thrifty like that. I guess it's time I start keeping my eyes peeled for things like that.

Heather said...

So Megan... I'm the decorating dork. Help! I somehow envision in my mind and then when it comes to decorating time, it has troubles getting out of my head onto the wall (partly due to lack of funds). But you have done a splendidly cute job especially finding those good deals. I love the iron stuff.

Wendi said...

Linked over to you from Mique's blog. Love the photos. I love thrifty people! It's so inspiring!