Monday, August 27, 2007

First Day of School











Well, the first day of school actually happened two weeks ago for us but I wasn't blogging and I feel like it was an important moment. We went to the school to find out Derek's teacher and I looked on the list and didn't see any familiar names. We have met a few kids at church and I was hoping he might be in their class. When I looked for their names I realized all four of them got in the same class. It was kind of weird. I felt a twinge of saddness wash over me but I quickly called my husband and he reminded me that Derek makes friends with kids at the grocery store and he would be o.k. Today I asked Derek, "How was school and How was your teacher?" He said, "She is the nicest person. She is always so nice." I am so glad it is turning out well.






I also made Derek's teacher this little first day "survival kit". I just put a few munches in it with some flavored water. I also added a book called, First Day Jitters. The book is really cute about a teacher that is nervous (just like the kids can be) for school. I also gave her a gift card to the teacher store. The next day she sent me the most wonderful thank-you note. I just wanted her first day to be brighter!

10 comments:

Debbie said...

This survival kit is such a great idea! Love it. You are too clever. I bet it made the teacher feel so good.

Laura said...

You would know first hand how much that means to a teacher! That is so thoughtful! I have been trying all week to think of something to do for Quincy's teacher. He starts Wed.

Any other great ideas?

Julianne said...

I'm glad he likes his teacher. My kids same pretty much the same thing, that their teacher was so nice.

What a sweet thing to do for a teacher! I'm sure it really made her feel special.

Kim said...

I found you through "Forever Flamingo"'s blog. As a former teacher, now SAHM, I can say that the book was a perfect touch to the teacher basket! Every year I barely slpet the night before school started. And since she probably had a very, very short lunch break, the snack were a perfect idea! I can't wait for my boys to start school in a few years to steal your fabulous idea! Thanks!

Michelle said...

LOVE the teacher basket. Great idea! I'm so glad your blogging now. Do you think it's too late for me to do something like that?

Rochelleht said...

What a great idea! You can tell you've been a teacher.

Megan said...

Michelle,

I don't think it is too late to do something. I know as a teacher I loved little things anytime of the year!! Sometimes parents would bring a big Sonic drink for the teacher at the end of the day. I always thought that is so thoughtful. It simple and cheap and it makes a teacher's day! After dealing with twenty some kids all day who couldn't use a Sonic?

katri said...

That is the COOLEST idea! I love doing stuff like this at random times through out the year. Thanks for the awesome idea. :)

Katrina said...

Great ideas, Megan! I will definitely steal them and keep all the accolades for myself. ;)

Lacie said...

The survival kit is a wonderful idea!!! I think I might just use this idea in the near future!!!

Keep the wonderful idea coming! A Mom can never have too many tips!

I'm glad school is going good!